Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Buenos Aires has loads of Americans here who also want to celebrate it. This year, I took the leap and decided to host Thanksgiving at my home. This is no small task, you do as Hilary Clinton said "need a village." First, I am vegetarian so I had to put the meat issue aside. Second, I live in Argentina where cow rules and alas turkeys are uncommon. Yes, you can get turkey (pavo) at Jumbo supermercado but its difficult to find a bird for 15 people.
Unlike my hometown of New York City, there are no indications whatsoever this fabulous holiday is approaching. Alas, why would there be? There were no Pilgrims landing in Puerto Madero. I put ou the word about "project turkey" to mis amigos and was amazed at the response. One friend had definatley spotted and eaten pavo at a Tenedor Libre in Almagro. Another friend, he owns a restaurant here, Club 647 offered to track down a bird. In theory, he has the best connections to getting one. It looks like he was able to procure it but confirmation will be needed.
In the meantime, I have seen no turkeys in Disco supermarket, or other food shops.
TO BE CONTINUED.
1 comment:
Great Turkey is very easy to obtain. Good to the Mercado in Belgrano. Free Range, Organic, no salt. 6 to 14 kilos and they deliver. La Granja 4781-1243. We ordered one and it was fantastic.
Post a Comment